Thursday, March 8, 2012

Non-fiction Reading

Kelly Gallagher's Article of the Week
"Part of the reason my students have such a hard time reading is because they bring little prior knowledge and background to the written page. They can decode the words, but the words remain meaningless without a foundation of knowledge.

To help build my students’ prior knowledge, I assign them an "Article of the Week" every Monday morning. By the end of the school year I want them to have read 35 to 40 articles about what is going on in the world. It is not enough to simply teach my students to recognize theme in a given novel; if my students are to become literate, they must broaden their reading experiences into real-world text."
Some of the ways I have used this tool in my classroom:
  • teaching grade 9s to summarize/paraphrase for their research essays
  • providing current non-fiction pieces to my students
  • teaching my students about precis writing

No comments:

Post a Comment